Click here to speed up viewing this map, it will take you to the original Google Map, complete with a legend.
The locations in this map were determined for Herndon's book, Exploration of the Valley of the Amazon Vol.1 Many of the locations, who's names changed, were determined with the help of Mitchell's 1850 Map of South America. Thus, you can track their actual progress across the Amazon Valley as you read the online version of this book.
#33 = San Antonio
9 December 1851 - “San Antonio is a village about two miles below the mouth of the Iça. It is a collection of four or five houses of Brazilians, and a few Indian huts.”
MRM Google Maps of other American explorers include:
- Stanley's Rescue of Emin Pasha (In Darkest Africa)
- How Stanley found Livingstone
- Herron's 1899 Exploration of Alaska
- Lewis and Clark Expedition
- Isabella Bird's 1896 Exploration of the Yangtze River and Beyond
- Schwatka's Search for Sir John Franklin
- Perry McDonough Collins' 1856 Travels Across Russia